victoriavane

The Horse Whisperer
Nicholas Evans
Midnight in Your Arms
Morgan Kelly
Far in the Wilds (A Spear of Summer Grass 0.5)
Deanna Raybourn

A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1)

A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1) - Victoria Vane Book trailer at http://youtu.be/LrOuTtsByf8

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SCENES:
DeVere, on the other hand, evinced no such qualms. He had already loosened his cravat and was stripping off his coat.
"As I said earlier, there is no need," Phoebe insisted. "A couple of buttons and a raised petticoat are all the business requires."
"How delightfully unromantic you are, my dear!" He chuckled. "But while most men would be charmed to comply with your simple wishes, I have quite another game in mind. One that most definitely requires you to disrobe."
"But what if I don't want to?"
"Oh but you will," he said with a smug smile.
She glared. "You are very sure of yourself!"
He studied his buffed fingernails. "I am sure of Ned. Thus, we must put on a convincing show."
Her brows came together in a deep scowl. "What do you mean? What has Ned to do with this?"
"Everything. And at any moment, I expect him to burst through that door like a raging bull."

VICTORIA'S TITILLATING TIDBITS:
While I would never presume to call A WILD NIGHT'S BRIDE anything more than a diverting work of romantic fiction, there were a number of intriguing historical facts that came together to form this story:

• In 1783, the Drury Lane theatre did, indeed, close for renovations

• Mrs. Hannah Cowley's The Belle's Stratagem was a wildly popular play and a favorite of the Royal Family who commanded it nearly every season.

• Charlotte Hayes presented a subscription only Otahetian Feast of Venus at her King's Place brothel- details of the illicit gathering can be found in Nocturnal revels: or, The history of King's-place, and other modern nunneries, M. Goadby, Pater-noster-row, 1779

• George IV, as an eighteen year old Prince of Wales did, indeed, have an illicit affair with actress Mary Robinson that began with a love letter addressed to Perdita and signed Florizel.
description

He also had a custom of taking locks of hair from his lovers. Upon his death as King George IV, over one thousand of these were discovered. For more details, see my Georgian Junkie blog George IV: An Indolent Enigma at: http://georgianjunkie.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/the-four-georges-part-v/